"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent." --Carl Sagan

Mar 28, 2013

I have said “it’s not fair” a million times in the last few weeks. It seems to be my response for everything lately. It’s not fair people we love die- that good, promising lives are cut short for no reason at all. It’s not fair some people are starving to death, while others have such excess. It’s not fair that I’m healthy, and there are perfect, beautiful babies that are not. It’s not fair that we discriminate and judge one another because of who we are. I want to stomp my feet like a toddler and and throw a tantrum, pound my fists against the floor and cry until the universe caves in and says, “You’re right, it’s not fair! No one will suffer anymore and everything will be perfect!”. But, that’s the thing, the universe doesn’t care. It is not spiteful, or out for revenge- it’s just truly indifferent. It keeps moving, come hell or high water. The sun rises and sets, the waves hit the shore, babies are born, your heart keeps beating until it stops. We have no more control of the universe than the trees or stars do. We are simply on a ride. A crazy, beautiful, tragic, surprising, unexplainable ride.


So, instead of stomping my feet and protesting the unfairness of life, I will enjoy this ride. I will embrace every feeling I experience. The fear, the joy, the anger, the sadness and the love. I will change what I can and accept what I cannot. I will be thankful for all of the people who have crossed my path, whether we share a lifelong journey, or a few fleeting moments. I will find the things that bring me joy, and fill my life with them. I will stop putting blame and anger back into the world when something terrible happens, instead I will fight the darkness with light and love. I will also stand on the side of love whenever I can.


I am going to take it all for what it’s worth, and enjoy it all as much as I can.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs